Pages

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Snap, cackle and stop!

Week 3 has not got off to a good start. This has nothing to do with R, who after my last blog has tightened up the routine and got his act together getting out the house (the mighty blog strikes again!) 

Having taken the decision to bring Stella the Dog on our first hill training route around and through Holland park, I had the hound for the duration, which means a bit of stopping and starting initially - so I had to catch R up. 

Note to self: sprinting up Ladbroke Grove when not properly warmed up is not a good idea. Not matter how much fun Stella thinks it is. 

I spend the rest of the run worrying about my calf. Then, at 3km, my hair clips fall out. Disaster. Growing out fringe is now flapping around my face and getting in my eyes. I almost run straight into a spider web and veer left, freaking out R and dog. I'm not having a repeat of the 'Attack of the Fake Widow' on the canal...  

Thankfully R doesn't get easily fazed. One of the benefits that I have started to appreciate more and more! And there are a few  

1) Feeling safer
 Meaning we can try out some slightly more out of the way back streets, and that way we are discovering new routes

2) Being able to hand the dog over
A great option when she's in chasing squirrel mode, eating god-knows-what mode or generally being a pain in the arse when trying to get the pacing right!

3) New motivation when taking on killer hills
 Particularly when you're eating their dust, or they're giving you a push while passing you by

4) Sharing the views
 Yes, even in darkest West London around the streets, the full moon over Portobello is pretty breathtaking. And the people watching while cruising by is priceless. 

Stella was still embarrassed by her human

6) Or when your sports bra snaps. On Holland Park Avenue. With a fair amount of traffic around. He didn't laugh too much.

So I limped home, with an aching calf, mussed up hair, and a serious wardrobe malfunction - he kept me company and didn't point and laugh. Too much.

Now I sit wrapped up in my 'try again next time' London marathon fleece (which you get when you DONT get in the ballot! I am rather relieved...) and my calf wrapped up in a tea towel with frozen peas - hunting the web for industrial strength sports, erm, gear!

Snap proof please!

2 comments:

  1. "Being able to hand the dog over" would definitely be the highlight for me!
    I've recently discovered takes 9km for Pest-O to calm down & run nicely next to me (I can even drop the lead). But it has to be about 30⁰C. I haven't reached the "calm-down-distance" in cool weather yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're heading into 10 degrees, so no excuses, but I seem to have misplaced my running mojo! Eeek! HA! Love to Pest-O and AK of course :)

    ReplyDelete