Pages

Sunday 5 January 2014

Regent's Park Winter Series 10K - New PB!

It's Sunday morning,and I am up at 7am and lacing up the trainers for my second 10K race in five days. Well, it's one way to kick start 2014, race myself silly until we head off to Thailand and then hopefully have enough of a habit going that I'll be taking on a few miles on those beaches. And I fear it will have to 7am to beat the heat (oh poor me! up early to run on the beaches.. I hate me)

The weather was perfect. Cold but beautiful and clear, with a rose coloured sunrise seeing off the frost. There was plenty of that and I very nearly skidded off the bridge and into the pond just walking over to the Hub for the start of the race. 

Regent's Park getting its Pretty On
Having had my number and race chip through by post (all seamlessly organised) all I had to do was meet Natalie (the lovely lady I had the pleasure of running with last Movember 10K) and hit the bag drop off. 

Natalie and I get ready to race! Regent's Park let's be havin' ya!
By 9:10am we were all at the start line, including Felix and Christopher (resident RDC elites) and ready to go. The course is flat and takes in most of Regent's Park three times over and I was slightly dreading the laps. I am much more a fan of varied scenery! But I had a new playlist to test out, so seeing the same statue a few times over wouldn't be the end of the world. 

Each lap was just over 3km, and with the ice having melted thanks to the climbing sun (and the super speedy runners, thanks Chris and Felix!) I managed to keep my pace even and steady. I even avoided heading out too quickly - which helped hugely. Not more fizzling out at 5km, and although I didn't manage negative splits, I did managed a new PB! Not quite under the 60min mark, but 01:01:01 has a certain ring to it. Fitting for the beginning of the year. So that will do for now. More track training and I'll be there no doubt.

It was brilliant to have fellow RDC runners in the mix who cheered me across the finish line, thanks guys - helped me find that sprint finish after all. Felix and Chris both smashed the course in under 40 minutes, Felix bagging a new PB, so celebrations all round. 

Run Dem Crew Represent! 
So that leaves me two more weekends until I jet off to warmer climes for a desperately needed dose of Vitamin D. Any other good 10Ks I should be signing up for? What races have you got planned in the Spring?




No comments:

Post a Comment