Pages

Saturday 20 October 2012

Sink or Swim

Two weeks since the race and a few follow up physio appointments later, its very clear that my running injury is a bit more complicated than I initially thought, and its going to take a lot more than a few weeks rest to get better.

Pay attention, here comes the science bit, I'll keep it brief. The year old calf injury from back in Feb 2011 has come back to haunt me, just in time for Halloween. Apparently this is fairly common as I didn't get it properly looked at. This means my right calf has very little flexibility and my left leg has been compensating. Add to that the lazy glutes (as discussed here so I won't go on), a pretty lackadaisical core and tight hips and HEY PRESTO! Awful awful ITB issues. What fun.

The upshot of all of this is that I will not be running for at least another month while I focus on building up the flexibility and getting the right muscles 'firing'.  When I do start again, I have been advised to pretty much start again. They're talking running for a minute, walking for three minutes... that kind of starting again. OH GOOD. But we're also talking sorting out my posture, getting rid of that weird flick I do with my right foot, and getting stronger and faster all round.

So there's that to look forward to. In the meantime its been suggested I swim. Yes, swim. And not the faffing about in the pool I usually do, while on holiday. Proper swimming, using freestyle, to build my core strength.

Its worth noting I haven't been swimming for fitness purposes since 1994, back in Roosevelt High's Grade 8 swim team, which I was a part of for precisely 2 days.

I do not have fond memories of sporty 'proper' swimming in general. My high school pool was also used for diving so was suitably, very deep and I had this irrational fear that I'd dive in too deep and not reach the surface quickly enough. You know, before I drowned. I hated the horrid elastic caps that had to be dusted with baby powder so they didn't stick together, and pulled my hair,  the sting-your-eyes chlorine that also turned my hair green and made my skin itch. The unflattering school issue navy swimsuits.

But needs, must and all that. I've had a bit of a look around the local leisure centre facilities, and with the hoards of screaming children, it looked just as daunting as my old school pool nearly 18 years ago. I left without even getting a toe wet.

Not a good start then, so I'm just reminding myself I was just as terrified of my trainers when I first put them on. Flashbacks of shivering to the core wearing ill fitting brown nylon shorts on the starting line in the middle of winter come to mind. All the anticipation and anxiety, only to come last in sprints. Or falling over the hurdles. Its fair to say I loathed running, I found it humiliating and difficult. Now I find it something I pretty much can't live without. So if I want to get back on it. I'm going to have to jump in the pool.


My ideal pool.
Unfortunately no Lilos are allowed at the leisure centre




1 comment:

  1. Its really a good idea sink or swim. Nice post anyway to show the love for swimming. Swimming no doubt is one of the best cardio exercise for overall body fitness.
    Cary Gyms

    ReplyDelete