Pages

Tuesday 24 January 2012

9:03

Whoop! Just achieved my fastest mile to date, 9:03 - not bad for a soggy and cold Tuesday evening en route home (5.5 miles in all).

Slowly, I'm getting a bit faster. Rather pleased and my splits look pretty even, so it wasn't just a fluke while running down hill, or arenalin from escaping a rabid mutt in Acton.

Plus its worth noting there's a fair amount of interruption, distraction and stalling on my route home from work. Here are the main offenders

Kids on Scooters (all ages)
From toddlers who can barely walk, to the older kids who careen from one side of the pavement to the other while yacking on their mobiles, none of them have any sense of how fast they are going or have any regard their immediate surroundings.

No one is safe, from elderly people innocently waiting for the bus to runners like myself (in high vis no less!) we've all had to veer out the way or risk being smashed into by two vicious small wheels and being sworn at by either the parents or the snotty preteen. Ban them.

People who don't look where they are walking
Ok, we've all done it. We've been busy updating statuses, too involved in the ipod or distracted by some delinquent child smashing into a poor women at the bus stop on a scooter. Nevertheless, every single time I head out on a run I have to use some fancy footwork to avoid colliding with offenders who just step into the street without looking. Its the typical blinkered London commuter state of being. Shouting 'excuse me' or 'careful' only seems to illicit shocked glares and the occasional 118 joke. I am tempted to get a bell. Or a taser.

Cyclists
Firstly, the pavement is for pedestrians. End of. No negotiation. Secondly, if the light is red for you, but green for the pedestrians, at least slow down. But ideally, just stop. You have brakes and a helmet and runners are not protected by anything other than lycra. Be gracious

I'm hoping those of you who do cycle who read this would never commit these heinous crimes, and if you do, hang your head in shame and change your ways. Along with the bell/taser I may start carrying a small pin to let tyres down...

Smokers
This coming from a woman who smoked for near on 15 years. Yes. I quit just over two and a half years ago and yes, every now and again I do really, really want a marlboro. But never when I am running. Running past crowds of people standing outside pubs or at bus stop practically billowing tar, ash and smoke past me, and sometimes for those extra special bastards, directed at me, makes me want to gag. Nasty habit. Aren't I smug *reaches for nicorette*

So, I'm feeling pretty chuffed with my 9:03. Now I just need to find some decent anger management classes.





No comments:

Post a Comment